* Josh hired movers for his stuff, and went to work. I stayed behind to manage the movingness. It went fairly well.
X: They asked me once if I wanted them to take some of the smaller stuff, since it wasn't in a box. I just told them: "Take everything you think I" (specifically) "couldn't put in a car. If yall want
to take more stuff, I'm not gonna stop you, but you're here for the large and heavy stuff, so."
J: That is exactly right!
It seemed obvious to me
* On the one hand, Josh and I had a fairly clear idea of where boxes &c should go, and the movers just kind of put things more or less wherever, so I was worried that Josh would be upset with me for things not being in the right places. On the other hand, fuck 'im; I took the day off work to get this done, he has an issue, he can move 'em his own self. On the gripping hand, why on earth would he get upset with me at all?
My brain, I swear.
* One of the bright sides of only having a little bit of stuff: if I owned furniture, I would've been unpacked already. *goes to target.com*
** (Among other sites, I mean.)
* Each room has its own thermostat! Wild. Definitely useful in the winter -- turn on the heat in the rooms that matter, drop them when going to bed, and shut the doors when possible, to keep heat in the rooms.
Another thing to natter about!
* I already have a shopping list for thiiings. Like a toothbrush holder, and an over-the-shower-head rack thingie. Mmmm stuff.
* Josh has a couple of rugs. I don't particularly care for them in general, I don't want them overtop carpeting, and I like
X: Um, actually... I kind of don't want the rugs out, if that's okay.
J: *slowly* Okay. I'll probably put one or two in my room--
X: Well, duh, it's your room.
J: Right. :) I just know you don't like them.
X: It's not quite that I don't like them... if your rug-preference is greater than my-- Okay, I just turned this into a card game in my head.
J: *cracks up*
X: If you have more points in rug-preference than I do in rug-dislike, then you win the round, but some day, I'll put more ranks in dislike, and then where will you be??
J: *laughs harder*
* Man, eff the haters, I like the carpet just fine. (It's this chocolate-and-cream thing. It matches the dark wood trim and cabinets. I really like it.)
* Gah. So. I went back to the room I was renting, and I started moving things to the car. I'd only had cereal that day, so I put some spaghetti on to boil.
Can you hear where this is going?
I currently have a hate-on for doors that latch when you close them
. Who thought this was a good idea? Thankfully, a neighbour was there, and she called a locksmith. They had to remove the lock, for heaven's sake. $60 later, the pot was burnt, and I was in tears out of sheer hunger-/stress-fueled frustration.
Fanfuckingtacular, I tell you what. Yet another pot to scrub. &%(*$)@
was a total dear, in lending me his car, offering it maybe on the weekend (work depending), and taking extra stuff upstairs when my knees decided to hate me, even though it made him late for work. Total win.
* I am. so sore. Oh god.
* As mentioned, Josh was at work when this whole movination thing went down. So, he wanted to go to the bar to celebrate, but he called me first to see where I was at, how things were going, &c.
J: I put myself in your shoes, and figured that you'd be kind of put out if I just went straight to the bar, even though I didn't have anything to do.
X: OH yeah. I mean, you didn't have anything to do, so going to the bar totally makes sense, but if you'd just gone straight to the bar without checking in, I probably would've tried to kill you with my mind.
X: "Why am I getting a nosebleed??"
Some days, he is v. v. smart indeed. It wouldn't've been sensical to be upset with him, but dude -- stressed and hungry and overheated? Fuck
* I mean, for example, I found my bathrobe, towel, shower toiletries, brush, deodorant, pants, and other clothes in like 10 minutes, and I can't remember the last time I've bothered to label a box or pack boxes solely by room/content type/other. Mwahaha.
* Oh eeee, I can finally get my desktop back! And cell reception is good!
* Josh and I have had some good discussions about the part where he has all
the things. I don't want to harass him about having everything there is to have, but it truly baffles me.
One part is I have a strict cost/benefit analysis that values my laziness over owning things. Owning things means I have a responsibility to them -- upkeep::cleaning, upkeep::repair, packing/moving, &c -- and gah, don' wanna. So while I do own some things that are just aesthetic (a painting, a glass, a necklace, a cetera), they're generally small, or easily packed, or things like that.
And one part is... I'm myself now
. Why would I want to carry with me the objects of interest that former!X liked? Why would I want the physical baggage of my former self around all the time? I don't need to remember who I was so much that I need to keep everything I've ever acquired. I'm me now
, so I have things that pertain to me now
Josh is rather nothing like this. So, fun times.
* I don't like moving, it turns out. But, I like the place, so okay.